one :: record

one :: record :: 1

update... i just got to see shari's take on record and she's done an amazing job verbalizing the process. puts me to shame... if you haven't already you should definitely check out her take!!

so.... today shari and i reveal our project together. perhaps you'd like to know a bit of history? basically when i finished the drawing a day series i knew that i wanted to do something else on a weekly basis and i thought it would be more fun to do it with a friend. through that project i discovered that the guideline and discipline of doing something regularly is really rewarding [oh look! i alliterated!]. i kept returning to the idea of what's around me and how i choose to really "see" it or not. then i started thinking about how language can really influence what you pay attention to - or how you interpret [or re-interpret] something. thinking that i wanted to "document" who better to start a project with than someone in documentary studies? so i approached shari.

the premise of the project is this. each week one of us picks a word. and then we both interpret that word in any visual means we want. drawings, photos, mind maps, etc. perhaps shari will even bust out with some sound [hope so!]. we reveal the fruits of our labor on mondays. it may be a single image - it may be multiple.... there are no limits or guidelines on that end.

this week's word was :: record. a great word since it can be interpreted more that one way... dictionary definition here . immediately i thought of my husband's record collection... and then the red "record" button on stereo equipment... and then i thought to do this:

one :: record :: 2

making a record... [on my favorite type of graph paper]. anyone want to venture a guess as to what i was counting??

what i love about this project is how open the interpretation is.... you can go anywhere. it's funny what words pop into my head as possibilities. the word for this week is mine - but you'll have to wait until next monday to learn what it is.... thank you shari - for doing this with me... i can't wait to see how this unfolds and develops week by week. [it's sort of like the compound word project but longer.... :)]

it has been so so cold here [for us calif wimps it's cold]. here's proof. all the pets huddled together:
matilda sandwich

and i leave you with a poloaroid - which could relate to record.... recording the light thru my studio windows in the way only expired poloaroid film can:

blue light

Comments

Anonymous said…
what a great project. i'm trying to think what you might have been recording? number of times you, your husband, or one of your pets barked?
amisha said…
this is such an exciting project... the first incarnation is very thought-provoking (i'm still pondering your notepad... something that happens mostly in the morning?) and i am very curious to see how it develops. i love the intersection of the verbal + visual.
shari said…
hi lisa,
what fun to click over and see what you've done with record! love the photos! i feel like this week was all about getting my feet wet. love how we have a limited time to do the work. it's a good practice for me as it forces me to show something...whether it is complete or even if it needs tweaking. thank you so much for the invitation! i'm already looking forward to next monday! xo shari
Anonymous said…
great idea! love the pictures. and love all your pets huddled together. so cute.
Anonymous said…
oh very cool!!! XO
.meg. said…
this project is ridiculously awesome. i can't wait to see more! oh and hello, by the way! i'm pretty much a lurker most of the time.:)
Anonymous said…
and in what amounts to me being the worst delurker ever, i somehow checked blogger profile as opposed to filling out my own address and then it was too late. sorry!
Marieke said…
That's just the best project! I will love to follow your outcomes of the project... x
Karen said…
Cool! I missed your weekly drawings....(it actually inspired my weekly reads)...I like the idea of routine...

We finally had our first snow and winter blast, what a doozy but saw that you guys got hit WAY harder...

Pictures of your babies are TOO cute!
Jan Halvarson said…
awesome idea - good luck and i look forward to following it!
Anonymous said…
Now I am very curious as to what you were recording...love your project idea and that polaroide is so cool.
Hey! Congrats on the new project with Shari...so looking forward to seeing how it will unfurl as the year goes on...:)

Ooh how cuddly the pets all look together. I would be by that fire too!

Love the blue. Gets me right where it counts...where only real good colour can.

Happy Monday lisa..xox
Anonymous said…
very cool new project - really looking forward to your collective word-work :)
that polaroid blue is just so absorbing ...
Anonymous said…
You clever pair, Shari & you! A wonderful project that I am keen, so keen, to see more of. Your polaroid recording the light passing, the day giving way to the night, is beautiful. And I am so eager to know what you were recording on the graph paper spectacular. The amount of times a bird in an overhead tree chirps. The number of songs listened to in a day, with more in the morning. The number of emails as they came in... nope, I have no idea.
take care, g xo
Anonymous said…
Oh! I think my original comment may have disappeared!

I think I wrote something along the lines of...
I love this project you and Shari have started up. I can't wait to see your next word and what you two get up to. My guess as to what your chart 'records' is: How many times a day each of your gorgeous pets asks for the heater to be turned up higher. Am I warm?

cheers, LJ
MWM said…
I love the idea of making a visual record of words.
Seems to be a lot of these daily/weekly projects going around -I like them.
I am having my students take a photograph a day.
Anonymous said…
great idea girls!! (i must find myself a partner for a collaboration!!!) and i love anything on graph paper ;) could you be recording something to do with your students or cups of coffee youve drunk (in which case, youve drunk quite a lot!)hhmmm...:) xxx
Unknown said…
amazing. i'm really glooking forward to following you and shari through this project.
Bri Ana said…
What a treat to spy your genius on The Beholder email this morning!

By the way - I saw Shari's post first and my first thought was, oh course, VINYL, as well.

mwah!
Anonymous said…
You guys have come up with brilliance. What a way to inspire us all, the words and photos are all like candy
Anonymous said…
i want to dive into that cuddling pile of goodness and stay for a while! so cute!!
i loved reading your interpretation, and shari's, of record. my first instinct was to think of music, as it is in my blood - many classically trained musicians (myself included) in my family, so this word quickly snowballed into an amalgam of memories....=)
Anonymous said…
Love your pictures. I am doing a lot of polaroid photography at the moment for my photography course at college and love it. Next purchase - sx70!

Would love you to check out my site and tell me what you think...

http://www.vintagefilm.typepad.com
Anonymous said…
While I appreciate how much time/effort it took you to do the daily drawings, I missed the chance to see some of your work on a regular basis. So, you can put me on RECORD as one of the chorus of fans who will look forward to your weekly posts on yourn ew project with Shari.
lisa solomon said…
risa.... heh heh... yeah me and hubby bark all the time! :)

amisha... thank you - the verbal + visual interests me too!

shari - THANK YOU for doing this with me... i think this is going to be a very very good project!

hi meg! yeah - can't go wrong w/ cute pets

hi mav!!

meg2- thanks for de-lurking!! nice to see you here

maireke.... thank you! i'm looking forward to seeing what happens

karen.... you are a doll. i like routine too!! yeah - cold for us not used to the cold down here

hi matidi.... that polaroid blue is a thing of it's own....

gracia - YOU WIN! i will reveal next post!

lj - sorry about the weird commenting thing - i've heard this a coule of times... hmmmm... yes - the heater counting could be accurate. they love that thing!

hi martha! so good to make students to a photo a day!! so good!

hi julie! collaboration is fun! we should do something sometime....

hi mary... thanks!!

briana! :) of course you thought of vinyl- of course!

hi blair... thank you friend. so much

ky.... dive on in.... i know - it's hard not to think of music, huh?

jodie - i will definitely visit your site! shortly!

hi pat... well i will try to show more work regularly - it's just that bigger pieces take longer! :)
bugheart said…
gad i love
that polaroid.
i just want to sit
under that window
and get lost
in thought...

love the project idea...
what a great idea!
two great minds...
xoxo
paula said…
This is such a smart colaborative idea...from two great people I admire out there.
Love, love this polaroid...

Popular Posts