drawing a day ~ week 37


mom in hammock w/ garbo Originally uploaded by dressform.

i need a push that's what my mom would say {in a very cute voice} every 5-10 minutes as she sat in our hammock. hammocks are so relaxing. i think everyone should have one. it's really hard to worry about things when you are perfectly situated in a hammock. i put one in my studio when i was in grad school {the bright colored mexican kind - with out wood supports} so that i could escape from it all when i needed to. smartest thing i ever did. i had a great visit with my folks.... good food... good company.... all my dishes washed..... we actually got to meet robert lang . quite fun. his origami pieces are even more stunning in person....

drawing a day ~ week 37

this weeks drawings... oh is that orange bright, or what? i like the idea of a brightly colored background.... i'm still struggling with how and where to add color.... the first one has those e-bay stencils again. i am loving those. i'm thinking that they might have to become a t-shirt at some point.... the 3rd is my watercolor drawing of the white orchid given to us.... the doily drawing this time turned into a chair... i was looking for a bed and then this chair stopped me in my tracks. does anyone have doilies on their furniture anymore?? i wonder if i can singlehandedly bring that back into vogue... heh heh.

since i keep talking about all the grading i've been up to - i thought i'd actually show you:
this is what grading looks like

sketchbooks from my painting class. i can only hope that a few of them really get the bug and keep the skethbook going. i wish i kept mine up - but i kind of feel like the drawing a day is my substitute.... for now....

and since i can't get enough of the cute pet shots:
chini

chini using a pot as a pillow.... [he's not as discerning as tonka]

for those of you who had some backyard/floral questions - i attempted to answer them in the comments section of the last post.... i will try to post again before the mad dash of our trip.... speaking of which... dad brought me a great book to read... artemisia a novel about one of the first recognized women painters... i'm starting on thurs when we fly out... anyone want to join me?? i really need to make a list.... do you get into a frenzy before you go on a trip? i do...

Comments

sarah said…
hey lisa, always in a frenzy here before a trip away, i wonder why it is always so??? i have that book sitting on my shelf so would love to join you... hope your trip is wonderful xxx
sarah said…
ps... love love this weeks drawings!
Anonymous said…
i really love this week's drawings. the orchid is stunning and that orange rocks! I have a nanna rug on my couch which is nearly like a doiley! :)
busy, busy!!! So glad you had such a wonderful time with your folks...hammock time sounds pefect {similar to hammer-time???} ;)

I have read a book by Susan Vreeland about Artemesia {the passion of}, which was great...a really compelling life story! enjoy......I LOVE the drawings this week, doilies rule {especially on furniture -my gran still has them!}....hope you speed on thru the grading..xox
paula said…
I love your drawings and they look great with that spot of orange. Love the orchid... you really captured the original.~
Have a nice time.
Paula :)
Tracy said…
lovely drawings! my almost 5 yr old just found a cache of tatted doilies made by her great great aunt. she has taken to placing them all over the house - backs of chairs, tables, no surface is safe!
Anonymous said…
I love the chair...with the tiny bit of stitch on it!! its a beaut!
love that bright orange with the blue star like stitch..I need to learn more stitches, did I miss where you are headed?
Anonymous said…
Your drawings are fab, the orange is great! It would go oh-so-well with the dayglo orange and turquoise doilie that I found at a thrift shop the other day!
Anonymous said…
A hammock? SO jealous, I've always wanted one...

I will totally join you on this book as I have been eyeing it myself lately..
shari said…
hi lisa, hammocks are so nice. they allow one to really relax. plus, i love looking up at the view, which for me in my yard is the tops of willow oaks. i adore the orange and the orchid watercolor is gorgeous. artemisia looks like a great read. hope you can settle down and relax a bit before your trip. xo! shari
Anonymous said…
Lisa! this is my most favorite series of drawings yet! The whole set as a collective is incredible. I love how the orange interacts with the rest, I'd love to have seen you working on that piece & seen what sort of mood you were in!!!


My frenzy before a trip? I grab a billion magazines & read about hot new lotions, creams, shampoos, conditioners, then I try to buy as many new fun things as possible & a new l.l.bean boat & tote to cram everything in. I swear, I have 30 boat & totes in all different colors, they are the perfect carry on & the d-50 fits great inside!!! :X
LadyLinoleum said…
Actually, I just instituted the doilies on furniture thing. I came into a motherload of doilies that my grandmother made and people send them to me often. Actually, they look pretty cool sitting atop my tables. I just cannot bring myself to put a crystal candy bowl atop any of the doilies though...
i can't get enough of cute pet shots either.
i really like this group of drawings a day. esp. the flower and the chair, but all of them too.
that hammock pic sure does look relaxing.
i've always wanted to read one of the artemesia books, but heard at one point that one was best and can't remember which one it is. i want to read the good one. tell us how it is.
that chini sure looks petable.
Bri Ana said…
Love the subs, the orchid, the circles... & the chair, I don't know why that one is especialy pleasing but it is. And yes! the orange - because everything is better in orange. It's like the panton equivilant of bacon.

I'm a rotten individual the few days leading up to a trip - I get uber cranky and neurotic. But I'm *great* once we actually get going - go figure.

One of these days I'm going to swing by the bay area and lay silly kisses on all your clever pets!
Anonymous said…
i sooo need a hammock!! haha! :))

see you in a while! im gonna miss blogs! :))

(ehug)))
Bri Ana said…
Another thing... I know you *say* you are grading, but that sure looks a lot like bloglines on your computer screen ;)
lisa solomon said…
sarah.... thank goodness it's not just me... so excited you'll read w/ me!!!! and thanks for kind words about the drawings

hi samantha! welcome... thanks for commenting.... i'd LOVE to see your couch!!

abigail.... hee hee you always make me laugh... sounds like you are busy too!! catch up soon!

thanks paula, i'm excited to go on a trip!

tracy... show pics!!! how cool to find a doily stash!

hi sylvie... thanks for such kind words... welcome!! sorry to hear about your b-day migraine....

karen.... hammocks are great... and yay! i'm glad you'll read along!

hi shari... i think i'll be relaxing on the plane.... :)

amanda... thank you so much re:drawings... means a lot. i love your pre-trip routine....

regina :D love that! i don't think i could do the crystal candy bowl either - although i do have one :D

hi shash... i'm glad you like the pet shots too!! and thanks for the niceties surrounding the drawings! i will definitely let you know about the book!

briana.... yes... i'm better once we are actually gone too.... i love that orange is the equivalent of bacon. that is fabulous! and come up to kiss the pets anytime~!

jenny you do you do! 1st thing when you get back from your uber trip! :)
Annika Sandin said…
drawing a day.... lovely as usual!
bugheart said…
wish i had
kept up
my sketchbook too.
where do you teach?
LadyLinoleum said…
I'm lovin' the subs...
andrea said…
okay, first off-- I amloving the hammock and the story of your mom needing a little push here and there. extremely cute and again, your backyard is calling out to me.

secondly, I am LOVING the orange in the midst of white with the drawings. lovelove.

Popular Posts